Beira Litoral province, northwestern Portugal, on a lagoon at the mouth of the Rio Vouga, south of Porto. During the 16th century it was a port Newfoundland (Grand Bank) codfishing fleets but declined after 1575 when sand blocked its lagoon.
Aveiro (the Roman Talabriga) became a city in 1759 and an episcopal see in 1774.
In 1808 it was linked by canal (Barra Nova) to the Atlantic; its port facilities were improved after 1933. Salt is extracted from the lagoon which has been partly diked and reclaimed for agriculture. The Convento de Jesus, now a regional museum contains medieval art treasures.